- Indigenous and Community Conservation (ICCA) Consortiuma (2011.-2012.)
BED is serving as a hub for the Central, Eastern and Northern Europe of the ICCA Consortium (ICCA- Indigenous Peoples’ and Community Conserved Areas and Territories) which is an international association dedicated to promoting the appropriate recognition and support of ICCAs in the national, regional and global arenas.
The Consortium is directly linked to the grassroots through its Members and as a global institution which has developed partnerships with the CBD Secretariat, GEF SGP, UNEP WCMC, IUCN and various UN mechanisms promoting human and indigenous peoples’ rights.
Indigenous and Community Conserved Areas Consortium – ICCA
There are three characteristics which define ICCA area:
- A community is closely connected to a well defined ecosystem (or to a species and its habitat) culturally and/or because of survival and dependence for livelihood;
- The community management decisions and efforts lead to the conservation of the ecosystem's habitats, species, ecological services and associated cultural values (even when the conscious objective of such management may be different than conservation per se, and be, for instance, related to material livelihood, water security, safeguarding of cultural and spiritual places, etc).
- The community is the major player in decision-making (governance) and implementation regarding the management of the site, implying that community institutions have the capacity to enforce regulations; in many situations there may be other stakeholders in collaboration or partnership, but primary decision-making rests with the concerned community.
- CI for clean air
- BED is active in the activities of network of organizations and individuals called Citizens initiative for clean air in Slavonski Brod.
- GREEN FORUM
- BED is active in Green forum - a network of CSO's dedicated to environment and nature protection fostering public participation in decision-making processes.
- BREEDERS ASSOCIATIONS
- BED is one of the founders and institutional supporters (logistically, administratively and programme based) of several associations in agro-biodiversity field – national Podolian cattle breeders association (UUSSP), regional Posavina horse breeders (UUHPK), local indigenous dog breeder association.
- ADVOCACY NETWORK
- BED is involved in monitoring and support activities of the Advocacy Network, which brings together civil society organizations and activists of civil society in Croatia that work to protect and promote the values of Article 3 Constitution, through which the same send different information that might be useful in their work (about legislative activities, drawings and bills daily regular sessions of Parliament and parliamentary committees, etc.) BED is also the supporter of the Platform 112. The Platform of Human Rights Organisations in Croatia, which is established to monitor the status of human rights and the rule of law in the context of the finalization of Croatia’s Accession Negotiations with the EU, demands a different Croatia – Croatia in which the rule of law represents the foundation of individual, institutional and political action.
- PASTURING COMMUNITY (2007)
- Brod Ecological Society-BED is one of the legal persons and the main driver and a member of the Pasturing community veterans association Eco-Gajna in the municipality Oprisavci near Slavonski Brod (founded in 2007, re-registered in 2012) PC was founded and organized for the purpose of managing the common pasture.
The years of unresolved status of the common pasture inevitably pass and is one of the most important factors in giving up the local population from extensive grazing practices. Through EU projects, various ministries and other entities there was over a million and a half HRK invested in Gajna mostly by efforts of BED but the enthusiasm of local actors is not accompanied by institutional support. From year to year more breeders are giving up because they can not withstand the unclear legal status and not receiving support despite all the less favored circumstances.
- EUROPEAN FORUM ON NATURE CONSERVATION AND PASTORALISM (2011)
- BED is a member of the European Forum on Nature Conservation and Pastoralism (EFNCP) is a Europe-wide network which raises awareness of the importance of low-intensity farming for nature conservation and aims to improve the way public policies respond to the needs of these farming systems.
- PanEuropean Livestock Breeds Ark and Rescue Net (2009)
- Gajna is also reported as a so called Ark nad Rescue farm – an institution within the project ELBARN - the European Livestock Breeds Ark and Rescue Net, which is a pan-European project. (Funded under AGRI GEN RES 066) The ELBARN Network is spread throughout Europe to share knowledge and encourage collaboration between organizations and institutes wishing to conserve European animal genetic resources.
- Danube forum (2005) (DEF)
- World Wetland Network (2011) – WWN
- WWN - is an international initiative of NGOs working in wetland conservation issues, from bird protection to habitat management, from research to ecological education, also involving local communities in decision-making regarding wise use of these ecosystems.